Also known as Periodontal Disease
What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease is the inflammation or infection of the gums. It is caused by plaque and a film of bacteria building up from your teeth. Plaque can harden to become calculus. Plaque and calculus are caused by poor oral hygiene. There are two stages of gum disease:
- Early stage of gum disease
Bacteria can damage your gums and cause gingivitis and inflammation of the gums.
- Advanced Stage Gum Disease
The advanced stage is known as Periodontal Disease and can cause serious damage to the gums, tooth and bone that support your teeth.
How do I know if I have gum Disease?
Your dentist or hygienist will tell you if you have gum disease. You might have it if you have any signs of:
- Red, swollen, bleeding gums
- Shrunken gums
- Bad breath
- Abscess infection
- Loose teeth
What do I do if I think I have gum disease?
Make an appointment to see us. We will check your oral health by examining your gums, bone, teeth and fillings. We will assess and discuss a personal treatment plan that suits your specific oral condition.
- Removal of Plaque: Done using dental instruments.
- Scaling: Done using an ultrasonic instrument to remove plaque and calculus.
- Root Planning: This is a deeper clean with special instruments to remove plaque and calculus beneath the gum line. A local anaesthetic is used to numb the teeth and gums. Root Planning is done over a series of appointments.
- Replacement of fillings may be necessary and contributing to gum disease.
- Surgery might be required in rare cases when there is severe periodontal disease.
Virtual Consultation / Teledentistry
Looking for a virtual consult? Are you:
- Nervous about visiting the dentist?
- Short on time?
- Not feeling well?
- Unable to travel?
- Just want a second opinion?
Our teledentistry phone consults can help direct you on the best course of action for your dental needs, and could even save you from making a trip to see us.
Send us a selfie!
Send us a photo of your teeth with a description of what you’re hoping to achieve. Our team will reply with information to help you on the first exciting step of your journey to a brand new smile.
Explore Our General Dentistry Services
The Tooth Place Booking Enquiry
Make your booking enquiry using our form here to simply phone the surgery on 02 9331 2273.